The first cold day or the first hot day of the season rolls around and it’s the first time most of us have thought about our heating / Cooling system. Now we need it and it isn’t working! At Diversified Heating & Cooling we understand that these situations can be very frustrating and we want to help get you back up and going as quickly as possible. Performing the following simple trouble shooting steps may get you back up and running & save you money…
1. Inspect your breaker.
2. Inspect your Thermostat Settings.
- If your indoor fan is running non-stop, check the “fan” setting to ensure that it is in the “Auto” setting.
- If you are experiencing no cooling & your thermostat is set below 72 degrees it can cause ice to build up in the coil and stop blowing cold air. If it is a fairly hot day, try going up a degree or two. This will allow the system to keep up better.
3. Inspect the copper tubing going into your Heat Pump or Air Conditioner. If there appears to be any ice built up. Do the following to de-ice the system:
- Check your filter to make sure it is not plugged… See below…
- Go to your thermostat and turn the “system” setting to off & the “fan” setting to on.
- Run the system this way until there is no sign of ice. This typically takes apx. 1 – 3 hours depending upon outside temperature and the amount of ice on the system.
- Turn the system back on at the thermostat & put the “fan” setting back to Auto.
4. Inspect your filter. (A plugged filter is the most common cause of a heating system not working. It can cause a “High Pressure” lock out and stop your equipment.) If it looks dirty or it has been more than 3 months since your last filter change try the following:
- Turn the System off at the thermostat
- Pull out the dirty filter.
- Turn off the breakers to both indoor & outdoor units for the count of 5 or 10, then turn back on.
- Turn your system back on at the thermostat. On Heat Pumps or Air conditioners it is normal to see a “Wait” on your thermostat. That is the compressor preparing to come on. It should go away in 5-15 minutes.
- If your system comes back on and runs normally. Replace the dirty filter and remember to visually inspect it every month.
If you have tried these steps and are still unable to get your system heating or cooling, please call us at 541-323-1840. And as always, feel free to call us with any questions you might have.